Thamesmead Town 5 Sporting Bengal United 1

October 26, 2016 Posted in Uncategorized by No Comments

Mead maul Bengal tigers
Wednesday September 11, 2007
Thamesmead Town 5 Sporting Benal United 1
By Mead reporter Kevin White
Thamesmead ran rampant as they performed well to hit five goals against Sporting Bengal and go top of the Kent Premier League.
Mead were missing Lee Loveridge through injury, however Conneally was passed fit after missing the weekends game against Tonbridge Wells due to a back injury picked up in the F.A. Cup game against Whitstable.
Piling on the pressure from the start, Richard Dimmock was unlucky not to open Mead’s account, going close from the middle of the area after five minutes. However, Curtis Williams was the man to fire Mead in the lead on 15 minutes. Dimmock sprayed a pinpoint ball from the middle of the pitch to Killick, who then played in Williams with a square ball to the middle of the Bengal area to fire home.
Thamesmead continued to pressure, with Williams and Dimmock threatening to score at every opportunity and the Bengal keeper doing well to keep the score down.
On 25 minutes, Thamesmead were denied the chance to go further ahead. With the Bengal area crowded, referee Mr Sarah, failed to spot a stonewall penalty, when Williams had his legs taken from underneath him on the edge of the area.
Sporting Bengal had done well to soak up the Thamesmead pressure and were rewarded with their first real attack of the game on 40 minutes when Pipin scored the equaliser after a quick move down the right flank.
Bengal caused Thamesmead a scare just before half time when a shot managed to slip past Rob Tarrent on the edge of the six yard box. Just as it looked as the shot would cross the line, Conneally was at full stretch to palm the ball away.
With the scores level at half time, there wasn’t to be a repeat of the 10 goal drubbing that Thamesmead dished out to Sporting Bengal last season. However, more goals would surely follow as the Mead set out from the start of the second half with attacking intent down both wings.
It took only two minutes in to the second half for Mead to gain a second goal. Get down, James Brown, the man of the moment firing in goals from midfield with a cultured strike in to the top corner of the Bengal net from six yards out. From here Sporting Bengal heads dropped and the side became more disorganised, allowing the Mead more space in midfield.
Scott Mulholland was denied a chance to get on the score sheet as his low drilled shot beat the keeper, but hit the post on 56 minutes.
Working his way down the right wing, Bradley Killick cut in to the box on 65 minutes, only to be upended and a penalty to be awarded. Dimmock stepped up to smash the penalty home for 3-1.
Five minutes later, Dimmock stepped up to make it 4-1, finishing off a move by Rob Tarrent on the left wing in a crowded Bengal box.
Killick, unfortunate to fire wide after a one on one opportunity with the Bengal keeper late in the game managed to fire home Mead’s fifth goal after a quick passing move from Mulholland and Tarrent found him in the middle of the area.
The last move of the night saw Rob Tarrent float in a cross to the far post, only for Dimmock to bizarrely head the post!
A fine performance by the Mead, which will bolster the spirit in the camp going in to Saturdays FA Cup tie, at home to Ryman Premier League Carshalton Athletic.
Line-up: Conneally, Watts, Deadman (Gallagher), Brown, Coburn, Tarrent, Mulholland, Knight (Chapman), Dimmock, Williams (Masabe), Killick.

Leave a Comment