Friendlies Pt. 2

October 26, 2016 Posted in Uncategorized by No Comments

Friendlies Pt. 2
31 July 2007
Pre-seson friendlies ended in style
Thamesmead Town 5 Bearsted 1
Once again, youth proved their worth as Bradly Killick shined with two goals in a good team performance in the last pre season friendly.
However, it was a tough tackling Bearsted who took the lead on 30 minutes when a poor backpass from Lou Watts saw a Bearstead striker sneak in to slot the ball past an advancing Kemp in the mead goal. Mead began to dominate with some quick passing which lead to Rikki Cable jinking in to the edge of the area on 35 minutes. His shot was blocked on the line, with a rebound heading goalwards also cleared a few seconds later. On 40 minutes, a Bearsted defencive error was pounced on 10 yards out leaving Cable to slot home the equaliser.
Mead run rampant in the second half and young right winger Bradly Killick deservedly put Mead ahead on 53 minutes, His hard work paid off finishing an attack he started reciving the ball on the edge of the box to smack past the keeper.
A few minutes later, Robbie Tarrent rifled home Thamesmead’s third goal from 12 yards out and the Mead continued to play some free flowing football, with Killick’s pace cutting the defence down the right and Robbie Tarrent and Rikki Cable linking well through the middle.
Cable made it 4-1 by once again beating two defenders with his trademark dribbling to slot home under the advancing keeper.
The attack continued to flow, with Richard Dimmock hitting a couple of shots wide of the mark and Pedro Knight comming close with a few minutes to go. But Killick sealed off a solid performance by hitting home his second of the night and Mead’s fith to round off what has been a successful preparation for the season ahead.
A strong performance is now needed this Saturday in the Kent League Curtain raiser when the Mead take on Whitstable at Belmont for the Charity Shield.
29 July 2007
Narrow defeat to Needham
Thamesmead Town 3 Needham Market 4
11 players were unavailable for selection today as the Mead lost narrowly to Needham Market.
A Mead team made up of half 1st and youth team went 1-0 down against the run of play in the first half as a mistake by keeper Rob O’Hara led to Needham’s first. Undetered Rikki Cable’s footwork led him to beat three defenders before curling the ball round the keeper on the edge of the 6 yard box. A few minutes later, Cable dazzled again jinking round two defenders then pulling the ball wide of the keeper to slot home. Curtis Williams was unlucky not to add to the scoring with a jinking run from the half way line and a shot that was brilliantly saved.
As the second half started, it was as if Thamesmead were still in the dressing room as they scored from kick off and then again just a couple of minutes later. The Mead remained controlled with pace in midfield supporting Cable and Dimmock well up front. But Needham hit a forth from a breakaway attack.
With a few minutes to go, Dimmock got the third Mead goal as the ball trickled over the line after hitting him in a “sensetive area”, but there was not enough time for the Mead to come back.
A good run out for the youngsters who performed well, especially Dawson and Killick. The Mead’s final pre-season friendly against Bearstead is on Tuesday, at Bayliss Avenue.
28 July 2007
Williams and Cable shine in Chatham victory
Thamesmead Town 4 Chatham 3
Two goals from Rikki Cable, one from Williams (pictured) and a last gasp winner from Lee Loveridge secured victory against Chatham today.
It was the cliched game of two halves as Thamesmead dominated the first half with Rikki Cable scoring one of his trademark goals by beating two defenders before slotting home on 24 minutes. Curtis Williams made it two with a lovely solo goal, picking up the ball on the halfway line, dribbling up the pitch and around the keeper to make it 2-0. Williams then became creator, beating two defenders to enable a cross which was met by Cable. Cable vollyed his shot in to the ground, but with enough power to send it bouncing over the keeper and in to the net. A comfortable 3-0 lead at half time.
Shortly in to the second half, Williams nearly made it four, as his speculative effort hit the post. But from here, Chatham rallyed and pulled a goal back as James Brown made a mistake to allow Chatham their chance of a comeback.
Mead seemed to relax, going 3-2 down half way in to the half and then conceeding the equaliser with only a couple of minutes on the clock.
In injury time, Scott Mulholland whipped in a peach of a cross which was met by the head of Lee Loveridge to secure the win.
26 July 2007
Coburn hooked as Mead draw with Fisher
Thamesmead Town 1 Fisher Athletic 1
Thamesmead put in a solid performance tonight to contain Blue Square South side Fisher Athletic to a one all draw on a night that saw Ex-VCD defender Lee Coburn put pen to paper after the match to sign for the Mead and bolster the squad even further.
Thamesmead manager Keith McMahon is very pleased with the signing. In an interview to be screened by Thamesmead TV at the weekend, he said, “He’s now the final piece in the jigsaw for me. We now have strength in depth in every position and I’m pleased we’ve signed him.”
Thamesmead managed to contain Fisher Athletic for most of the match tonight, in a game that saw very few chances. In a side that was without Dean Kearly, Pedro Knight, Sam Thomas and Cutis Williams, the midfield in particular contained a quick off the block Fisher Athletic. Fisher scored with their first real chance of the game just before half time, when a ball through the middle of the park was latched on to by a stiker on the edge of the area, who just managed to lob the advancing Kemp in the Mead goal.
A determined Mead defended well against several Fisher attacks which rarly resulted in a shot on goal. Scott Mulholland and Robbie Tarrent ran the midfield for several periods, feeding the ball to Rikki Cable who managed to beat the Fisher midfield for pace on many occasions.
The turning point for Mead came on the substitution of Richard Dimmock who was replaced by veteran Dean Burns. His presence coinsided with a renewed desire for an equaliser. First of all, Robbie Tarrent came close when his speculative long range effort fizzed past the Fisher post. Then, with five minutes left, the hard work paid off when Rikki Cable once again picked the ball up on the right hand side to beat a defender and cross to the far post where Burns managed to tap in.

Leave a Comment